Re: [Land-speed] Preventing Salt Damage & Rust>From>JGMagoo

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] Preventing Salt Damage & Rust>From>JGMagoo
From: "Benn" <karhu@california.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 18:03:59 -0700
Getting "down under" with the pressure wand is probably the best....but if
you don't have someone else to drive the vehicle out of the wash bay after
you've done your Salt Monkey job, you may not want to get that wet.  In any
case, plan on a shower afterwards (truck stop is the best).  I've typically
spent several dollars in quarters at the Wendover wash place (around the
bend behind the super market as I recall) and got whatever I can see on my
haunches or knees (hmm, knee pads wouldn't be a bad idea).  I wasn't aware
that there were Salt Monkeys at the "bend in the road" leading out to the
flats, but will probably avail myself of them this year.  Then when I get
home, I put on goggles, grab the hose sprayer, lay under the car, and go at
it.  (If you have plantings you care about, keep in mind that the salt water
could be a serious detriment).  Normally I try to break off the bigger
chunks of salt mechanically or with the spray head as I go.  Quite a lot
will come off in big chunks.   I spend about 45-60 minutes under the car
spraying inside the frame rails and any other places the spray head will
access.  I've done this process several times, and so far have no rust
showing anywhere, but of course there are almost certainly bolts that are
pretty rusted in spite of these efforts.  OTOH, I'm talking about a
reasonably late model unibody vehicle, and earlier stuff probably has more
crannies to hide salt.  I've never used the Salt-X, but it sounds like a
good idea, especially if you're driving a vehicle you really care about and
not just a grocery-getter.
Benn