Re: [Land-speed] YAW Control

To: <drmayf@mayfco.com>, "LSR" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] YAW Control
From: "Ed Weldon" <23.weldon@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 18:13:55 -0800
Mayf -- You're running modified sports car class aren't you?  Says in the
rule book that you can run a headrest fairing as long as it doesn't extend
past the rear of the body.  This ought to put the sideways CP further aft
like a fin.  This may do a lot more good than any active spin control.
Still the idea of active spin control is an interesting topic.  How about a
fin (on cars where it would be illegal in a completed timed run) deployed by
a small explosive or compressed gas charge at the initiation of the spin.
OK, there's no reason why the driver couldn't use a switch that deactivates
the fin deployment in a record setting or qualifying run if he has the
cojones.  I mean like how would you like to set a record while spinning
throught the lights and then be told you were disqualified because the fin
made your car illegal?
Ed Weldon