[Land-speed] YAW Control

To: "land-speed submit" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Land-speed] YAW Control
From: "Elon" <saltfever@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 14:05:24 -0800
Great idea, Mayf. I have been working on the same thing myself but only as a
means to quickly deploy a chute. I have contacted Systron Donner
www.systron.com <http://www.systron.com/>  and have quotes on a couple of
devices. Some of the prices are shocking ($2,300) but I'm waiting for a
low-cost quote on a new device.  I'm not as interested in saving a run as
much as saving the driver and car. By replaying countless spin films (thanks
Hooley and others) you can see a rate sensor would respond incredibly faster
than a human to get the chute out. I don't anticipate any rules issues as it
is a safety device for chute deployment. . . the run is over by then. I'm
also considering yaw angle, rather than rate, as the trigger mechanism.
Initial rate may be too slow, and then become constant, which may never
trigger the device. Angle limits work regardless of rate. That is why your
research is so incredibly interesting. Quantifying the trigger angle is the
unknown!

I'll have to disagree with Keith in that the human response time (seat of
the pants) is far too slow in many situations. Yes, it varies with driver
experience, car type, and salt conditions.  But the fact that spins occur
proves the point. A tiny quartz rate-sensor is far more sensitive than
anybody's gluteus maximus.   -Elon