Re: [Land-speed] Copper head gaskets

To: "Neil Albaugh" <neil@dbelltech.com>, <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] Copper head gaskets
From: "Rick Byrnes" <Rick@RBMotorsports.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 23:58:55 -0500
John started this, so lets talk about "O" rings.

In the 80's I used a metallic O ring to seal combustion.  This requires a
counterbore in the cylinder so the ring is supported all around, and can be
squeezed about 20 %.  The hollow 1/6" dia tube O rings were filled with "I
think argon", but the manufacturers will not disclose, nor will they talk
about their manufacturing process.  This is near perfect sealing of
combustion gasses unless the cylinder head lifts because of cylinder
pressures exceeding clamping load.
You guys know all about that stuff, because we all buy ARP studs and nuts.
Right Doc?  :=d

The elastomer o rings also need to be squeezed about 20% and really need to
be contained in a counterbore or groove which is what I did so there was no
head gasket per se.  I suppose that if you used a copper head gasket that
was the proper thickness and created openings that provide support for the o
rings it may actually work, however you still need to meter the water
transfer from block to head. (or head to block)
Ready made gaskets have done that for you.
 Cometic has such a gasket now that uses the metallic O rings with the
remainder of the gasket being their conventional MLS.  The same surface
finish requirements would be important.  The metallic o ring supplier is
Helicoflex.  They have been in the business for years, and I began working
with them in the mid 80's. (introduced them to the automotive business).

More in another note.  I can't remember what size is max and don't have the
patience to write too many, but want to do this now.

Rick