Re: [Land-speed] Copper head gaskets

To: "Neil Albaugh" <neil@dbelltech.com>, <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] Copper head gaskets
From: "Rick Byrnes" <Rick@RBMotorsports.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 00:14:32 -0500
One last note tonight
Fel-pro has a gasket for Chevy and Ford small blocks as well as a bunch of
other engines.  Even the 2.3L Ford. :-d  Gee I wonder how that happened.
It is a great basic design of composite gasket.  Solid SS core, a very good
non asbestos paper facing, and SS armour, with a wire imbedded in the armour
(fire ring).  Copper wire for alum components. Steel for iron.  On a
performance engine, NEVER use anything but solid core.(as opposed to
expended metal core supporting expanded graphite material.
The solid core is much more stable.
The unit load is increased at the edge of the cylinder and sealing is quite
positive.  Turbo motors can distort the hoop called the fire ring, with
cylinder pressures, so it is sometimes backed up by a SS wire imbedded in
the block, that protrudes no more than .010" that provides additional hoop
strength.
Surface finishes are not as critical, but sometimes these gaskets have been
known to weep fluids because the balance between clamp load at the bore, and
the body of the gasket are not perfect.  If you create too much sealing load
at the edge of the bore, the body doesn't get enough squeeze.  I used these
gaskets up to a little more than 100 HP per bore with good success.

More??

Rick