Re: [Land-speed] Copper head gaskets

To: <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] Copper head gaskets
From: "Rick Byrnes" <Rick@RBMotorsports.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 09:04:58 -0500
Mayf
did you use the ARP lubricant on the threads.  There is a significant
difference in clamp load with other lubes.  Fel-Pro and ARP had a little
battle about this some time ago.  Neither really won, but highest clamp load
without plastic deformation of the stud, and no failure of any other
component is what we are after.  But then you know that so I'm just
preaching......Ok I'll stop.

The OLD steel shim gaskets that John spoke of is still a good gasket, and in
principal is at the basis of the MLS gaskets.  Precision embossing make them
even more consistent than in the past.  Like you John I used lots of them in
another life and they worked ok.  Our acceptance of "leaks" fluid or gaseous
has changed over the years and the new designs are where it's at.

I still say that most race engine leakage of compression gasses is due to
detonation or cylinder head lift.  If you had it machined to spec, I'll bet
a six pack of Labatts that you had a brief excursion into detonation.  Easy
to do with race type engine calibrations.

But, if you found what works, use it.  Until it doesn't.

Rick