Re: [Land-speed] IN Car Communications

To: "land-speed@autox.team.net" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] IN Car Communications
From: Larry Mayfield <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 08:37:32 -0800
I have not been in the land speed activity very long, but a recurring
theme does seem evident. And that is electrical stuff seems to
malfunction or misbehave when out on the salt.

So, perhaps a side lobe to the communication question can be explored:
"What the heck is going on?"

I am sure theories and hypotheses abound, but is there evidence of
actuality? I.e., data?      I know I have some thoughts but no real
theories or even a hypothesis that can be fully explored.  I can make
some assumptions, however. Like he salt  is damp and salty damp stuff is
electrically conductive.  That electrics, whether radio, Dc or ac,
generate electromagnetic fields.    That a moving electric or magnetic
field with a conductor generates  amps in the conductor in this case,
the salt pan.  Weak, for sure, but then radio signals are not very
bright either. So, could the lack of good communication be attributed to
the fields generated by a moving electromagnetic field over a conductive
sheet of damp salt? And would the current generated mimic the shape of
the communication signal to the point where interference occurs?  How to
easily test?  Or how to shield?

smart guys, here is your chance to step right up and make a lasting
contribution to the field of moving radio communications on a wet salt
pan. If it matters, lol...

mayf

--
drmayf