Re: TD TUB

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TD TUB
From: djohnson@iwaynet.net
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 18:14:55 -0500
I am new to this list, and have been reading with great interest.  Would
like to express great appreciation for the various technical discussions.

My TF tub has been off the frame for some time now, waiting and wondering
when and if it will ever get back.  My experience is that Jonathan
Hermance's description best fits my memory and photos of removing the tub.
The material separating the angle irons and the frame seems somewhat like
burlap, but also has a wooly texture.  It was soaked or impregnated with
some black tarry gook that apparently kept out moisture and squeaks.  This
stuff was used in various and sundry contact points between metal and
metal, and I believe, between metal and wood.  His description of the cork
pads is better than my memory insofar as locations, but I clearly recall
the thick cork pads.

Those are the only original materials I found on my car.

Again, thanks to all for the great discussion.  I am a strict amateur, and
my car is completely in pieces, nothing is attached to the frame.  After
12+ years and three moves, and many meticulous mistakes, I am now ready to
start re-assembling my car.  I am hoping I can reassemble in half the time
it took me to get to where I am!

Dan Johnson
Columbus, Ohio
1954 TF