TD Valve Gap Lore

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: TD Valve Gap Lore
From: "Scott Allen" <scottinarl@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 04:52:30 +0430
Hi,

I recently had the engine and head re-built on my TD.  It's an older,
"banana channel" engine, but I went ahead and had some work done to it so
it'd have the bigger valves.  I figured the extra 3-4hp couldn't hurt.

I also had a new cam, (from Moss) put in, and this started the question that
follows...

>From what I've read, Abingdon put different cams in the later engines, and
by the early 70's you could no longer get the old ones.  How this effected
us T-typers was that the .019" spec for the valve gap went by the wayside,
and we, (if we replaced the cam) had to go with the .012" that the later
cams required.  Pg 94 of the T Restoration guide confirms this.

I have heard that by the year 2002 some feel that this is too tight,
especially since the XPAG engine has a tendency to wipe cam lobes, (#2 comes
to mind, and it was a bit worn on my TD) so some had taken to splitting the
diffence and setting them to .015", and this was how my engine was set up
after the re-build.

Enter my father, who's getting my TD on the road since I've been called back
into uniform.  His dad purchased a TD new in '51 and passed it on to him
when he graduated college in '61.  Dad owned his TD intil it was in a wreck
in'82.  Point is, he knows nothing of this and insists that it should be set
to .019" hot, and other opinions are so much, "folk lore".

So I'm wondering: who's right? Or rather, who's most right?

All opinions, folk lore or otherwise appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott Allen
52 TD
74 1/2 BGT