Re: TD Windscreen

To: "Douglas Ormrod" <Douglas.Ormrod@neurological.org.nz>,
Subject: Re: TD Windscreen
From: "S. P. Carr" <scvc70@epix.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 10:20:53 -0400
Good morning Douglas,

Clearly the under-dash panel is the least of your worries right now!

I just went downstairs and measured TD3942EXLU's windscreen -- height at
center 10 1/4", at outside edge 11 1/2" (both measurements from outer edges
of chrome).  Top bow posts 38" on center.  This car is the
passenger-side-wiper version; from windscreen center line going each way,
there's a bolt at 4" (= your '2 holes at 8" apart') and the center hole of
the 3-hole wiper motor/wiper arm mounting at 9".  The windscreen you bought
was misidentified; it's not for a TD.

The 8"-apart holes are for the bolts that hold the chrome frame together.
The wire to the wiper motor goes INSIDE the windscreen frame, entering
through a hole on  the back side of the frame side piece about 1 1/2" up
from the bottom, after exiting the cowl through a small hole-with-grommet
located about 3" at 11 o'clock (1 o'clock on a RHD car) from the bolt hole
on the rear arm of the upside-down-T-shaped windscreen bracket.  Be sure to
leave about 8" of loose wire sticking out of the cowl here -- looks a bit
untidy, but you need the extra to allow the windscreen to pivot flat.

If the profiles of all the parts of the new windscreen frame are the same as
those of your original windscreen, except for the different height and hole
locations, could it be altered to "proper" dimensions?  (I'm assuming it
needed re-chroming anyway).

Sarah Carr
TD3942EXLU in Pa.