Original hood?

To: mg-t <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Original hood?
From: Charlie Baldwin <ewsinc@suscom.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 14:41:07 -0400
I'm sure there is someone on this list that is familiar with the details
of the original hoods (tops) that were on TDs as delivered.
I have a TD in my possession that may have an original hood and thinking
that if that is true, it is worth restoring, rather than replacing with
a new hood.  It gets used so seldom anyway.
The material is a light tan under the flaps on the sides where it isn't
faded to an off-white.  It is a somewhat thin material, at least
compared to Stayfast or even to the canvas that I've seen.  The edges
are finished with a tan vinyl with a woven looking grain, as is the
material of the hidem running across above the windshield.  The vinyl
looks to be the same color as the top was originally, and therefore is
not obviously made of a different material. It fits quite nicely, though
the flap across the rear  where it attaches to the cockpit rail would
need to be replaced, since it is torn and coming loose from the rest of
the top.  It is obvious that it was originally attached with tacks,
though someone has added some lift-the-dot fasteners and snaps in lieu
of the tacks.  This makes the rear of the top removable, perhaps to get
flow through ventilation.
The rear window is in good shape, fairly clear, not yellowed, but I did
not notice any logo or stampings on it.
The size of the rear window is 28 1/2" x 8 5/8" daylight size.
Thanks for any information.
Charlie