Re: MG misfire

To: Sam DeSalvo <sdesalvo@frontiernet.net>
Subject: Re: MG misfire
From: yd3@nvc.net
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 11:18:00 -0500
<<<Snip>>>
My '52 MGTD Mark II runs fine on startup. After it warms to operating
temp, it
starts misfiring to the point where it stops running. I just installed a
new
coil, have rebuilt the head, adjusted the carbs, timing, points. Does
anyone
in MG land have a clue what the problem could be?  Clogged exhaust?
Distributor? Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Sam
TD
<<<Snip>>>
Most likely the problem is electrical.

Could still be the coil. I've seen bad new ones. Make sure the coil is
wired properly: CB goes to contact breaker if the system is still +
ground.

Replace the condesor again. I've seen bad new ones.

Replace cap and rotor.

Try hot wiring the ignition by running a wire directly from the battery
to the coil. If that helps, there's resistance building up in the
ignition system after it's on for a while and heat's up.

Could also be heat perculation in the carbs. Insulate the fuel lines and
add a heat shield.

Does the engine miss at the normal 85C temp?

Regards,
Blake