cooling stuff

To: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Subject: cooling stuff
From: Jack Emery <jemery@mint.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 22:04:12 -0400
Cc: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
We went to Boston in the red car last sunday, 100 degrees at least, water
temp 210.  Last night air temp 78 degrees water 170.  Go figure...

Things I have observed.....

Triple pass I have seen used on oil coolers in industry.  Usually they are
physically larger to get the flow through rate the same as a single pass.

Water wetter works.......A 1 to 4 antifreeze mix as opposed to our normal
Maine Prestone with a splash of water works well.  To much antifreeze
inhibits cooling.

A lower air duct is essential, mine are aluminum and drop 1 inch below the
valence to scoop fresh air into the lower half of the rad.  The area behind
the valence appears to be a negative pressure area allowing hot engine air
to be drawn forward.  Anyway the duct is worth 10 degrees or more.

The license plate on a chrome car is good for 5 to 10 degrees.  The wrong
way.  Maine troopers are real pissy about front plates.  I'm going to
louvre mine and really piss 'em off.

The chrome grille viewed from above has a weird section.  I use my sheet
metal forming vise grips with the 3 inch wide smooth jaws and gently
squeeze each fin flatter or narrower.  Difficult to explain until you
examine the grille.  This is an old MGC trick that works.

Exit air vents are essential.........

Timing is set 36 total by 3800 rpm, around 10 to 12 initial witha smooth
gradual curve.  GM dizzy with tweeked weights.....I use the vacuum.

Horsepower= btu's......That killer motor is just doin' its job, making heat.

Restricted exhaust will cause terrible heat problems.......

I'm no expert just old.....
Jack Emery
Glenburn Maine
'67 MGB V-8