Re: overheating

To: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: overheating
From: cgmoog@ibm.net
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 01:13:01 -0400
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Jim,

I tend to agree with Stuart Goggin but there is a lot of stuff going on
and on things maybe different then they seem.

If I understand it correctly your radiator has coolant go through the
radiator three times.  This is as opposed to sending coolant through all
three cores at once.

Looking at the typical three at once first - Coolant enters the front
set of tubes at ~215 and is cooled by air at ~100 (hot day) this coolant
enters the bottom tank at ~150.  Likewise coolant enters the second set
of tubes at ~215 and is cooled by air at ~140 (remember the air has
already passed over the first row) this coolant enters the bottom tank
at ~180.  The third row sees coolant enter at ~215, cooled by air at
~170, this coolant enters the bottom tank at ~200.

Your radiator (assuming the coolant from the engine enters the rear set
of tubes first, which it would have to to maximize cooling) -  Water
leaves the engine at 215 and is cooled by air at ~180, it enters the
second set of tubes at ~190 and is cooled by air at ~140.  It enters the
front row at ~180 and is cooled by air at ~100, entering the bottom tank
at ~160.

Of course all temperatures are off the top of my head for illustrative
purposes.
Writing this out leads me to believe that I may have been wrong to
assume that Mr. Goggin was correct.  I now believe that each design has
its place and either may work best depending on vehicle/engine designs.

It would seem that designs that have high air flow through the radiator
(compared to coolant flow) would work best with a standard three core
radiator.  Maximum heat would be rejected since the tube temperatures
are high and the air temperatures are low.

On designs that have high coolant flow (compared to air flow) your
design would work best (the limited air flow will experience the
greatest temperature increase, sometimes it is easier to think of which
designs does a better job of heating the air).

Which is better in a MGB-V8?  Not sure, but my gut says your design (but
my batting average is not the best).

How to solve your problem -
        make sure the radiator is clean  (inside and out),
        on your design make sure water flows to the rear set of tubes first,
        make sure baffles are installed next to the radiator so that air
passing through the grill has to go through and not around the radiator,
        make sure the area below and in front of the radiator is shrouded so
that air going through the grill can't get around the bottom of the
radiator,
        minimize air flow over the top of the radiator,
        shroud the fans so that the air they move has to go through the
radiator.

Good luck.

Speaking of luck if I have any I should begin engine assembly this
weekend, and with alot of luck get a chance to test out the radiator I
purchased from you before the year is over.

Chris

Jim Stuart wrote:

> Then the claim of the biggest temp drop from inlet to outlet of any radiator
>may
> be valid, but it is not necessarily the most efficient way to cool the engine,

snip