Re: Exhaust Temp

To: "James Nazarian" <jamesnazarian@netzero.net>, "mgb-v8 list" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Exhaust Temp
From: "Michael Hartwig" <mhartwig@midsouth.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 17:44:28 -0600
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
I just took out my noncontact thermometer, the temperatures are from my
brothers Porsche, but should be good enough.  Temps were taken at idle after
a good run.  Here goes:
Right out of the exhaust port - 600 deg
About 1 foot down - 500 deg
2 feet down - 400 deg
After the muffler - 300 deg
Tailpipe - 150-200 deg

You may consider ceramic coating the critical areas.  Hope this helps

Mike

> Hello all,
> Does anyone have a reasonable estimation of the temperature the exhaust
reaches on their V8s?  I am particularly interested in temp near collector,
and the temp at any other place in the exhaust pipe.  As many of you know my
headers are going out the fenders and through the rockers and now that they
are built I am investgating how much heat sheilding I will need, and if any
special paint will be needed on the rockers to keep from burning off.

> The exhaust would be done too, except I got held up when my thumb had an
intimate meeting with the business end of my hacksaw.