Re: How crash-worthy is an MGB?

To: "James J." <m1garand@speakeasy.net>, "v8" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: How crash-worthy is an MGB?
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 16:21:11 +0100
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Dunno about being T-boned but full fontal is (rotten sills permitting) very
strong.  The Chief Medical Officer for the MG Car Club meetings at
Silverstone for some years documented a case where an MGB hit a solid
concrete wall at an estimated 120kph which resulted in 0.75 metres of crush
damage to the car.  The CMO calculated that generated a deceleration of  75G
which should be fatal.  However as the full harness stretched giving 40G on
the torso, and the drivers head flew forwards a further half meter resulting
in 20G for the head, the driver survived.  He was unconscious, but not
because his (helmeted) head had hit anything, simply the forces inside his
skull.  He had fractured bones in one foot but this was simply down to his
foot flying forward and hitting the footwell.  There was no intrusion into
the cabin or deformation of the footwell.  He would have stood no chance in
a modern car which are only designed to pass a 40mph test, only recently up
from 35mph.

PaulH.