Northstar in and MGB??

To: <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Northstar in and MGB??
From: "JJJ" <m1garand@speakeasy.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 16:24:04 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
I seem to recall a discussion about the all-aluminum 32-valve DOHC 415lb. 4
6L Cadillac Northstar V8 as a possible powerplant for our beloved LBC's.
Has anyone dabbled with this at all since then?

I was browsing the web for info on the Northstar and found some interesting
data:

415 lbs from one end of the crank to the other.
Between 260 and 300Hp, w/ the stock restrictive headers and cats.
There is a V-6 version used by Olds (in the Alero?)  known affectionately as
the "Shortstar", but it's otherwise identical.
While it was intended for front-drive applications, it has the same
bellhousing pattern as the 60 deg. 2.8 and 3.1 Chevy V-6 engine.
    This means that you can used the TH-700R4 4-speed auto tranny behind it
from a V-6 Camaro, Firebird, or S-10, which, according to my hero, Dan
LaGrou at D&D fabrications, will actually fit into a post-74.5 MGB
transmission tunnel with minimal hammering.  By moving one hole, the manual
bellhousing can fit, too (there is a little work to fit the starter, which
sits at the 12 O'clock position (in what would be the lifter valley in a
pushrod engine) vs. the 3 O'clock pos.

If you're the curious type, check out this link.  He make carb. manifolds if
you don't want EFI.

http://www.chrfab.com/

Enjoy,
James Jewell

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of
IMSTP.gif]