Re: powder coat aluminum heads?

To: craigfaubel@sbcglobal.net
Subject: Re: powder coat aluminum heads?
From: Greg A Myer <motorhead45@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 08:41:19 -0500
Cc: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Craig,
            I haven't done this procedure, but I have ported more than a
few
aluminum heads over the years. Others on the list are also running
ported aluminum heads. The porting process removes enough material to
destroy any hardening precess in both intake and exhaust ports, as well
as the combustion chamber. This is where the heat is the most extreme.
Many miles later: No Problem !
          Wear surfaces ? The valve seats are hardened, and there are
iron or
bronze guides. The head bolts clamp against washers and the valve springs
are
sitting on shims, not the aluminum. The only area you may caused problems

with is the seat interference distance. Will they pull out ? This is not
a wholly
uncommon problem in any aluminum head . If they seem tight cold they may
still loosen up under duress. I have seen machinists with hammer and
drift pin
work some chamber material into the seat area to'lock' the seat in place.

If you try this be sure there are no edges left exposed as they will heat
up,
glow red and cause the dreaded detonation.
         I believe I would try this if it were my delema. then, when the
engine is
broken in, run it to the red line of the cam several times in a row -
just to be sure . After that...
                                                   Happy Motoring,
Greg