Re: Puzzler???

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Puzzler???
From: Allen.Bachelder@vt.edu (Allen Bachelder)
Date: Thu, 11 May 1995 16:19:19 -0400
Honestly, this can't wait...

AND IN TONIGHT'S FINAL JEOPARDY CATEGORY, WE HAVE "MGB MYSTERIES".

(Theme song que:)
     DA-........................DA-
DA-.......DA-.........DA-.......DAH.
                 DA-

Our 21st contestant, Andy Mace, correctly responded: "What is a
Zenith-Stromberg carburettor diaphragm".

Seriously,  my friend Gabor told me over the phone to "remove the four
screws from the top of the carburettor take off the 'top' and look at the
diaphragm."

"Diaphragm??!!" thought I - what in the world was a diaphragm doing in a
carburettor?  But to my utter amazement, I not only found a diaphragm, but
a badly cracked and perforated one at that.  With most of the vacuum
leaking off through the perforations, I was getting little/no piston lift,
hence little/no throttle.  This was my first trip in my first MG, by the
way.  And, eleven years hence,  it is still the only MGB horror story I
have to tell (you see that, spiritually, I survived).  From then on, I
never drove a Z-S equipped B without a spare diaphragm!  (Nor did I ever
need one again, wouldn'tcha know.)

Ray, you got awfully close when you mentioned the LBC inability to hold a
vacuum. Many thanks to all who participated.  I had a great time reading
all your responses.  But, I can't think of another puzzler of that calibre
- anybody else got one?

Allen Bachelder

PS: Now,seriously, Andy... time to 'fess up:  did you really diagnose the
problem or did you search the catalogs for a $3.05-part?