Re: Puzzler???

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Puzzler???
From: "Roger Garnett" <rwg1@cornell.edu>
Date: Thu, 11 May 1995 23:20:32 -500
> My 1932 J2 ...I was setting the timing and the distributor cap was
> connected, but resting on the bodywork. Absent mindedly, I cranked the
> engine with ignition on.
>
> Did it start or not? Justify your answer.

Well, I'm sure you did at least. I'm not sure why the cap was off if your were
setting timing, but is may have started- With a healthy coil, and possibly a
dirty dist cap, it's possible for the spark to jump from the centre electrode
to plugs- not at the right time as oft as desired, but enough to cause a few
sparks at the right moment. I infer that the dist itself is installed, so the
points are still functioning. That, and the fact that it doesn't take a lot
to turn over that 847cc engine, says that it's possible for it to run, a bit
anyhow.

rg