Re: New MG Owner!

To: Deborah Buckle <dbuckle@zeus.gs.gov.bc.ca>
Subject: Re: New MG Owner!
From: Greg Meboe <meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu>
Date: Tue, 16 May 1995 09:29:51 -0700 (PDT)
On Mon, 15 May 1995, Deborah Buckle wrote:

> Greetings, I am now the proud owner of a maroon 1973 MGB!  It's in great
Congratulations.

>  I understand they (the dual carbs) need tweaking just about every
> couple of weeks, is this true??

        If the carburettors are setup properly, they shouldn't need
tweaking much at all. Usually the car will run poorly due to some other
reason, and most people figure it's the carburettors that are causing it.
As long as the air cleaners are doing their job, the carbs should perform
well for years without service.
        One thing to check periodically is the level of oil
in the dashpot damper.  That's the thumbscrew plug on the top of the
carburettors.  This can be topped up with your favorite transmission
fluid.  Fill with just enough fluid so that as you insert the thumbscrew
cap, it meets fluid resistance about 1cm before the screw threads begin
to touch.

Have a great time.

                Greg
                            Greg Meboe     meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu
                            Dept. of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
                            Washington State University,  Pullman, Wa.
                            '85 XJ-12 H.E. (daily)  '67 Spit-6 '74 TR-6