Polarity Conversion

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Polarity Conversion
From: Laird Bolt <laird@iotek.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 1995 09:20:50 -0300
I have been reading the ongoing discussion regarding the conversion from
positive chassis to negative with only passing interest. (My 80 Midget
is already negative).  I have however notice one point that is being
overlooked.  A long time ago I attended a short course on corrosion.  During
that course it was point out that if a system has a slightly negative charge
it is less likely to corrode than a system with a positive charge.  For
those of us who do not meticulously clean are battery terminals we have
seen this in that the positive terminal corrodes more readily than the
negative terminal.  Anyway skipping all the detail (I do not know it well
enough to explain and there are others on this list who know this subject
much better than I do) based on the theory given two identical cars one
with negative ground and the other with positive, the positive chassis
will corrode faster.

For those of you who already have negative ground cars, if given the opportunity
you should always park beside an lbc that has a positive chassis in order that
you can use his car as a sacrificial anode (its cheaper than zinc and looks
better.)

Laird Bolt
80 Midget