Re: Master Cylinder and Stored MGB

To: mgs@AUTOX.TEAM.NET
Subject: Re: Master Cylinder and Stored MGB
From: ciaffone@nando.net
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 95 08:15:19 +0000
Haynes manual is correct, a bad or missing ground will cause a full
reading.  I had a similar problem with my fuel guage on my MGA recently,
turn out to be a bad connection in the wire harness, one of the bullet
type connectors was corroded.  Do you have any friends who are electrical
ly inclined??  YOu can put a variable resistor (Radio Shack item) between
the sender wire and ground (disconnect wire at the sender unit), vary
the resistor and you should see your needle change.  This will tell you
if the wiring and guage is OK.  I do not remember what the resistance is
on the sending unit, but believe it is high and will change with the
amount of fuel you have in the tank.  Have I totally confussed you on
this one????
I am trying to debug a faulty fuel guage/sender.
Symptoms are:

1.  Turn on key, guage climbs slowly to E
2.  Disconnect wire at sender, guage returns below E
3.  Earth wire from guage at sender end, guage
    climbs to F.

My guess is that I have a faulty sender or float.
Is this a correct diagnosis??

Haynes manual sez that a disconnected lead causes false
F reading, while grounded lead results in false E reading.
This seems backwards.  Which is right?

Help!
// Chuck Ciaffone
// 919-544-4878