swapping early top frames

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: swapping early top frames
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 1995 08:12:33 +0500
Fellow fiends:

I've been thinking (uh oh) about the feasability of swapping the top frames
on Old Whitesides ('63 B).  At present I have the permanently attached frame
that folds into the space behind the seats (as I've said before, likely to
have been designed by Dr. Mengele).

What I'm wondering is: can I take that frame out and replace it with the
simpler early frame that one stows in the trunk?  I realize that this would
entail getting a new top as well-not a problem as I plan on doing that anyway.

What I'm most wondering about is the compatibility of the frame to the
existing attachment points on my car.  I suppose that the stowable top has a
tongue and sleeve arrangement like the tonneau bar (yes/no?) and that I
would simply keep the existing chromed sleeve in place with the same bolts
I'm using now?  Has anyone out there had experience with both top frame
mechanisms?  Comments?  Suggestions?  Flames?   OD transmissions?

Last but not least: if this is doable (I strongly suspect that it is) does
anyone out there have a servicable stowable frame in their parts bin that
they would be willing to sell to me?  I promise I'd respect it and put it to
good use!

Will Zehring