Re: swapping early top frames -Reply

To: RLANCASTER@ntia.doc.gov
Subject: Re: swapping early top frames -Reply
From: Dirk de Boer <deboer@duke.usask.ca>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 1995 10:10:25 -0900 (PDT)
On Thu, 27 Jul 1995 RLANCASTER@ntia.doc.gov wrote:

> Will,
> I have read with laughs the problems with the behind-the-seat
> stowable roofs, but the trunk storable frame is no picnic either.
> Getting the three round metal pieces to line up before slamming them
> together is a truly frustrating and contortional experience.

> On my 67 B, the thing does slip into the same brackets that the
> tonneau frame slips into, but its such an awkward, finger pinching,
> stand-up-in-the-middle-of-the-car to install contraption that you may
> want to think this thru a bit more.

The trick is to assemble the frame off the car by lining up and
partially engaging each of the three tubes sequentially. There is
enough play in the frame that the tubes do not have to be lined up and
pushed home at the same time. On an average day this will take you
maybe 30 seconds. Installing the frame on the car takes no time at all.
You'll have to walk around the car to push the frame into the slots.
Installing the top itself is straightforward. Make shure you fix the
back into place. After this has been done, you can sit in the car and
do the front and the inside snaps while staying dry.
The important thing to avoid with the stowaway top is to stuff the
frame and top into the trunk and pile everything else you carry on top.
The latter approach will ensure a good soaking while unpacking. you
have to keep it handy. I stow my frame ready to grab in the trunk and
my top behind the seats, but I live in a small, relatively crime-free
city in Canada so you big-city U.S. types have to think of something else.
Also, you have to practice setting it up to do it quick and to develop
a routine so you won't forget the sequence of steps required or the way
the frame fits.

Dirk