Re: swapping early top frames

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: swapping early top frames
From: thorpe@kegs.saic.com (Denise Thorpe)
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 95 12:35:59 PDT
Will Zehring asked:

> What I'm most wondering about is the compatibility of the frame to the
> existing attachment points on my car.  I suppose that the stowable top has a
> tongue and sleeve arrangement like the tonneau bar (yes/no?) and that I
> would simply keep the existing chromed sleeve in place with the same bolts
> I'm using now?                                                  ^^^^^^^^^^

The bolts that hold the fold-up top frame to the car are longer than the
ones that only go through the chrome sleeve thingy in cars with stow-away
tops.  This is no big deal because you can just grind them down or get the
shorter ones out of a parts car.

A fold-down top _can_ be used with a stow-away frame.  This involves
cutting an inch or so off of the fatter end of the center (tallest) cross-
piece of the frame.  This is because the later tops are slightly lower.
I know someone who did this and it looked fine.

I agree with the people who said that putting up a stow-away top is not
that big a deal.  Of course, everything is relative, and the optimum
would be being able to push a button while driving down the freeway.  But,
compared to putting up a fold-down top, a stow-away is no worse.

I've found that the key to successfully putting up or taking down tops is
to not let anyone help.

Denise Thorpe
thorpe@kegs.saic.com