Re: Bicycles and midgets.

To: nvenn@mpc-uk.com
Subject: Re: Bicycles and midgets.
From: andys@skye.icr.ac.uk (Mr Andy Smith)
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 95 12:23:44 GMT
nvenn@mpc-uk.com said :

> It would require open-top motoring again but another idea I have had is
> to utilise an old soft-top header rail to provide the basis of the front
> of a roll-over-bar-to-windscreen roofrack. Weld on a frame that extends
> back to the roll-over bar and connects with the sort of connections that
> they use on scaffolding. Then weld on a roof-mounting bike rack. (I think
> I'm getting carried away)
>
> Does the hardtop have seams or rain channels that could be used for fitting
> a roof rack? I guess not. I am sure you have considered that.

Sounds similar to my plan of hanging the bike form windscreen top edge and roll
bar, and also sounds equally frightening should it fall off.  The main problem
though would be the unuseable hood / roof.  How many weekends trips from London
to Wales / Lake district can you make without ever needing a roof?

The hard top does have sort of gutters, but being floppy fibreglass, wouldn't
be much use for a rack.  Also the hard top is much shorter than the bike !

Maybe this is the ideal excuse to buy another (ever so slightly bigger) car ??

Maybe my wife would disagree ??

Andy
Andy Smith. Senior Physicist
Royal Marsden Hospital