Re: Fram oil filters sure do suck

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fram oil filters sure do suck
From: vortex@worldaccess.nl (Bert Palte)
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 1995 20:18:35 +0200
>To: jtilton@vt.edu (Jay Tilton)
>From: vortex@worldaccess.nl (Bert Palte)
>Subject: Re: Fram oil filters sure do suck
>Bcc:
>On August 12th, Jay Tilton wrote:
>
>>I changed my oil yesterday in my 77 B.  When I pulled the filter, a little
>>bit of the rubber backflow-prevention diaphragm was poking out one of the
>>holes on the bottom.
>
>Here is my $ .02 worth:
>
>I'd *definitely* send the filter directly to the manufacturer, for
investigation.
>(that is: to the *manufacturer*, not to your local supplier, they would not
be interested, too much fuss).

>Unless you have not changed that  filter for seven years or so,
>there obviously must have been something wrong with that filter!
>It is also in their interests that they know when something goes wrong.
>They will definitely let you know, either way!
>
>Having said that, I once had a similar poor experience with an oil filter
>- no oil pressure build-up after starting - but that had been a cheap filter,
>with no manufacturers name on it (probably from Korea, Taiwan, Cyprus
>or Eastern Europe - this was about 20 years ago).
>Changing the filter to one from a reputable manufacturer [ there are many
of them around] solved the problem.
>If I can avoid (and afford) it,  no more unbranded parts for me!
>
>Bert Palte
>25 Roggeveld
>NL-3764 ZB  Soest, The Netherlands
>tel. +31 35 602 39 49
>
>1970 MGB
>1964 Landrover Series II A
>1968 Trabant (no oil filters = two-stroke-engined car, just mix the oil
with the
>                         gasoline / petrol...)
>
>plus a few other cars

Bert Palte                                       Vortex Balanceertechniek B.V.,
Roggeveld 25                                Industrieweg 21  / P.O. Box 107
Soest,  The Netherlands              Soest, The Netherlands
 NL-3764 ZB                                  NL-3760 AC
tel. +31 35 602 3949 (home)       tel. +31 35 601 3816
tel. +31 35 601 3816 (office)       fax +31 35 602 6288
<palte@rt.el.utwente.nl>               <vortex@worldaccess.nl>