Re: Fram oil filters sure do suck

To: JAMES <JBMYERS@msuvx2.memphis.edu>
Subject: Re: Fram oil filters sure do suck
From: jtilton@vt.edu (Jay Tilton)
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 1995 10:31:25 +0600
>Is this the Fram PH-43? I've been using Fram's forever, it seems like. Not
>only do they match the color of the B,

Yep, the ole PH43.  Funny you should mention that thing about the color.  My
new AC Duraguard is blue, which matches my own car very well.  :)

>Consumer Reports rated their Wearguard filter
>as number one, a notch and a half above others.

Hmm.  How long ago was that?  It's possible that Fram has changed something
since the report you mention.  It'd be worth firing off a letter to CU to
request a re-test, including a test of whether oil drains out of an inverted
filter after engine shutdown.

>Normally I change the oil at 3,000 miles or whenever it takes longer than a
>few seconds to build pressure, which seems to be start happening about 2,500
>miles. Maybe the Fram is crapping out?

Could be.  I first noticed this oil pressure problem eight or so changes
ago, but only recently noticed the correlation between a new filter and a
quick pressure rise.  I didn't get more than about 1000 miles out of this
last filter before I started having the oil pressure problem, and it got
continuously worse.  I finally gave in at 2500 and have sworn off Fram
forever.  Filtering capability takes a back seat on this one.  Oil could
return in fresh-from-the-refinery condition, but ten seconds of cold running
without oil pressure earns Fram the "Jay sez, 'Unacceptable!'" stamp.

(FWIW:  I'm convinced the rest of my lube system is in good shape.  Nice
high pressure at anything above idle, never below 25psi when idling, even
when very hot.)

>I also am curious as to what the SOL regard as the best filter.

The SOL discriminati don't have much to say so far, but traffic is usually
slow over the weekend.  So far it's one vote each for Lee, Purolator,
Motorcraft, and Wix.  I'm reserving judgement on the AC Duraguard, even
though it is a lovely color.
--
Jay Tilton     | vt <> Vermont.  vt = Virginia Tech.
jtilton@vt.edu | .sig subject to change without notice