RE: MGA

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: MGA
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 1995 09:28:08 +0500

>>I just wonder what the price for a MGA 1500, 1600 or 1600 MkII could be.
>>The car should be driveable not to much rust, but not in good shape.
>>The motor should be good.
>>What kind of price ??
>
>U.S. prices I've seen for similar cars run $1000 - $1500.

While I think Lew's estimates are "reasonable" I have to add:

This is something I'd been thinking about since the summer party at Twist's
last weekend (i.e. prices to buy restoration projects, prices to carry out
restoration projects and prices to sell well-restored cars; and then: who's
actually making all the money in this scheme).  Over in the vendor's area of
the show there were three cars brought to the place on trailers.  Two were
MGAs and one was a B/GT.  I didn't inquire into prices but...

There was a silent auction going on for one of the MGAs, a 1600 MkI if
memory serves (no, not a twin cam, not a MKII deluxe, just an ordinary
1600).  The final bid was over $4000 for a pretty ugly car!  While it may
have been complete and the frame rails may have been solid, the car was
clearly going to have to be almost completely disassembled and gone over
before it would see the road again.  From the rusty wires, up through the
rusty rockers, over the bleached and faded paint, through the scratched
windshield over to the cracked rear plastic window this car was a start at
the beginning restoration project and the final bit was... again, over
$4000.  I was amazed.

What the heck is going on here?  Unless this car was owned by Gina
Lolabrigida, I can't see what posessed that fellow who bid it up that high.

Will "dazed and confused" Zehring

p.s. none of this is to say that I wouldn't buy a nice bugeye project if you
held an impact wrench to my head.