Re: Lucas Strikes again!

To: "Henrich, Dave" <dhenrich@mseng2.waterloo.NCR.COM>
Subject: Re: Lucas Strikes again!
From: jtilton@vt.edu (Jay Tilton)
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 1995 10:29:45 +0600
>Been having this intermittent problem on my 79 B. While driving (this has
>happened twice in the last 2 weeks) I notice that the Tach, fuel guage, temp
>gauge all stop working and drop to zero! Also the signals stop working.

Problem with the green-wire circuit, eh?  When the problem manifests itself
again, check to see if the following stop working in addition to the tach,
signals, fuel and temp gages:

Heater fan
Wipers
Windshield washer pump
Brake lights
Dash "Brake" light (slight tug on the handbrake)
Reverse lights
Cooling fans (hard to test without climbing out of the car, but . . .)

If all of the above stop working, but the engine still runs, the problem
lives at or in the fusebox.  Check the fuse (third from the top unless
somebody has bodged it) and connections at the fusebox.

If the engine quits when this happens, it's a bad ignition relay.  This
lives under the hood on the right side inner fender wall near the front of
the car.

If any of the above electrical items do work, you've got a loose bullet
connector somewhere.  Tracking down which one requires careful study of the
wiring diagram (get one if you don't have one already).  Write back if
cleaning up the fusebox doesn't do the trick.
--
Jay Tilton
jtilton@vt.edu