Re: GTs w/V8s

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: GTs w/V8s
From: gmccann@pcug.org.au (Graham McCann)
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 1995 09:50:19 +1000
>Fellow fiends:
>
>I'm gathering from the current discussion on the Rover V8 that the later GTs
>had some sort of change in the firewall and/or tranny tunnel that makes
>fitting a V8 easier.  yes/no?  If "yes" when is the earliest model year GT
>that this change(s) were made?  Another neophyte question:  what sort of
>tranny does one use in such a conversion?  Can one keep the original rear
>end or should such a converted car get a "stronger" diff?
>
>thank,
>
>Will Zehring

Will,
The MGB GT V8 was introduced in 1973 and the only body alterations were the
moving of the radiator forward.  This was retained for the rubbernose
series.  The steering column was different (to clear the exhaust manifold)
and needless to say the bellhousing on the gearbox was different to mate
with the engine.  The clutch was larger as were the front discs and the rear
springs.  The gearbox and diff were as near as dammitt the same as the MGB 4
Cylinder(ie a bit overstressed).  A very common conversion here is to fit a
Toyota Supra 5 speed gearbox and a suitable Limited slip diff (this is
complicated by having to fit that diff into the MGB rear end and make new
half shafts of a much stronger material.)  Unless you fit the very 'flat'
inlet mainfold arrangement made specially for the MGB GT V8 you will need a
bonnet bulge or scoop.  If you use a fuel injected engine then the plenum
chamber will make this obligatory.

This help at all.  If not come back to me with specific questions.

Regards,
Graham McCann  Rivett, ACT. Australia
gmccann@pcug.org.au
06 2889055