Re: Solicitng MGB accident anecdotes

To: Jay Tilton <jtilton@vt.edu>
Subject: Re: Solicitng MGB accident anecdotes
From: "Patrick M. Clawson" <pclawson@mail.orion.org>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 1995 15:34:29 -0500 (CDT)
For Jay, and anyone else who cares;

I bought a '77 B with bad rocker panels.  I put it in the shop for a week
or so, and had the whole rear bodywork pounded on and repainted.

Within a week of its return to active duty, I took a corner too wide.
The sturdy Rostyle rims absorbed the impact that sent me over a raised
median, but twisted the steering wheel out of my hands.
Waiting to turn left, on the other side of the median, was a
mid-seventies Chevy Nova.

My rubber-bumpered, Rostyle-wheeled B ran down the side of that Detroit
product like a can opener! I replaced the front "wing" because the
headlight mount was mangled, and a little judicious hammering
straightened the corner of the bumper core.  Total outlay: $150.

The moral of the story is that those "ugly" black bumpers have a double
layer of 1/4 inch steel for good reason.  And pressed steel rims don't
warp as badly as wire-spoked ones.

I challenged the structural integrity of a GM sedan, and came out on the
winning end because I was driving a BRITISH-made car.

* Patrick M Clawson       *
* Eng. Technologist       *
* pclawson@mail.orion.org *