Re: Need help in tire selection for 1974 MGB

To: Silikal@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Need help in tire selection for 1974 MGB
From: Johnmowog@aol.com
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 1995 01:15:44 -0400
In a message dated 95-09-14 11:21:42 EDT, Silikal@aol.com writes:

>However, manufacturers can give lower treadwear index numbers,
>as these are only required to be minimums.  So a 240 treadwear
>tire can be legally labelled as a 180 by the manufacturer.  Some
>manufacturers lower this number because a lower number implies
>that the tire is stickier.
>
>Dave WIliamson (silikal@aol.com)

Sticky is as sticky does...in this case you look at the heat rating, A being
the only  one acceptable for a performance tire imho, and anyway why would a
manufacture deliberately reduce the "lifespan rating" to hopefully attract a
few misinformed enthusiasts when there are so many "I only drive the freeway
and want the tire to last longer than radiation from uranium" customers out
there to sell to.
Tire tech has come a long way in the past few years. Looking for a H or V
rating, as well as an A heat and high number wear number, in that order of
priority, is almost certain to get you a great peice of rubber, unless you
have a specialized need like racing, at which point there are other folks to
talk to in detail... look at the newer 4 season tires that out-handle, wet
AND try, their in-house counterparts of only a couple of years ago. I
remember a few years ago when my Eagle GTs were the hottest tire I could
imagine having for under a hundred bucks, now a M+S HR rated tire from monkey
wards at $45 will run circles around it.