Re: Need help in tire selection for 1974 MGB

To: Slclemo@aol.com
Subject: Re: Need help in tire selection for 1974 MGB
From: vortex@worldaccess.nl (Bert Palte)
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 1995 09:06:24 +0200
Steve Clemons wrote:

>  I'm in dire need of tires for my newly acquired '74 B.
> The man suggested that I go with a much more common size (185-70 14)
> that was very close to the original.

I ordered 70 series tyres once for one of my British cars (not a MG) and found
that the steering was noteably heavier afterwards.
It MUST  have been the tyres, because that was the only change made at the time.

I am very happy with the Michelin MX 165 R 14 84 T tyres on my MGB.
Yes, they had to be ordered and they are not the cheapest ones around
-there are cheaper makes that cost only half of the Michelins.

They have a long life expectancy (have had Michelins under many cars, many
lasted  about 90.000 - 100.000 kms or 60.000 miles) and they
will perform virtually vibration-free after balancing (unlike some cheaper
tyre makes, where the mass distribution sometimes changes noteably over the
normal service speed range).

A disadvantage that I have experienced is that Michelins tend to be a bit
noisy - this is definitely noticeable on my MGB- but personally, I don't
mind that much.

Hope this is of any use to you.

Bert

(signature under construction)
Bert Palte                                       Vortex Balanceertechniek B.V.,
Roggeveld 25                                Industrieweg 21  / P.O. Box 107
Soest,  The Netherlands              Soest, The Netherlands
 NL-3764 ZB                                  NL-3760 AC
tel. +31 35 602 3949 (home)       tel. +31 35 601 3816
tel. +31 35 601 3816 (office)       fax +31 35 602 6288
<palte@rt.el.utwente.nl>               <vortex@worldaccess.nl>