Re: MGC: What engine?

To: rwg1@cornell.edu, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGC: What engine?
From: Johnmowog@aol.com
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 1995 00:26:17 -0500
BUY THE CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
First, MGCs are too rare to scrap! Unlike the B, there is a very limited and
finite number of Cs around, only a few thousand ever shipped here. They are
worth lots of money restored properly.
Now, having given the collectors their due, let me give the other reason...
If it is too beat up to make a decent car out of for restoration to original
shape... do a conversion. May I humbly recommend a Chevy small-block with a
Turbo Hydro 350 behind it!
Why?
It FITS!!!
Use 283- style exhaust manifolds, I think the deal was 2 right handers, one
mounted backwards, to clear the steering. With minimal pounding on the tranny
tunnel the shift linkage for a floor shift will clear, and a quick motor
mount job and radiator hoses finishes the fun.
Had one someone else had done about 15 years ago. They spent about a week
doing it and it worked great. It ends up being at least 100 pounds lighter
cause even a 350 is lighter than that big 6! Therefore it handles better than
the stock C and goes a "BIT" faster. Careful choosing of parts, such as
fiberglass wings and alloy engine parts will make it even better.
This could be REALLY FUN!