RE: Smog Tests - California

To: brooked@bre.co.uk, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Smog Tests - California
From: fickes@taurus.apple.com (Stan Fickes)
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 1995 13:45:12 -0800
>1) Will a car fail because it has been modified (or the test authority suspects
>it has).
>and :-
>2) Are the testing requirements retrospective. If so what requirements are
>there relative to a vehicles age.
>
>If I have an MG TA (or Ford model A) based Hot Rod with a 350 Chevy on the
>front and I try to get it smog tested will the staff a the test station polite
>explain the it will never pass because its modified? Or is there some leeway in
>the regulations?

It would probably fail if it were tested, but a friend of mine in the
California Highway Patrol has assured me that any car built before 1965 no
longer requires any testing -- either on a regular basis or upon transfer
of ownership (sale).  Up until a year ago or so a one-time test was
required when you first bought the car, but that has been lifted.

So, if you have a TA or Ford Model A with Chevy 350s, there should be no
problem because there should be no inspection.  Tell 'em Dale said so...
sf

Stan Fickes
Holder of Past Knowledge  If you want safe speed--buy safe speed--xx.
Wireless Communications   1951 xxTD, under restoration
Apple Computer, Inc.      1965 Austin-Healey Sprite, daily commuter
(408) 974-7653            1957 Chevrolet Bel Air StWgn, wife's car