RE: Smog Tests - California

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Smog Tests - California
From: fickes@taurus.apple.com (Stan Fickes)
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 10:17:03 -0800
>It is my understanding that if a *hybrid* is presented to be smogged,
>the most current age item is the standard tested to. ie. You have a
>1950 MG with a 1980 CHEVY engine, the standard applicable to the 1980
>smog, is the one tested to. If you have the reverse, ie. a 1980 MG
>with a 1968 engine the 1980 standard is the one tested to.  That info,
>I was told, came from the BAR *Bureau of Automotive Repair*, here in
>California. This would seem to make most sense, at least to me.
>Now, it's any ones guess if *all* smog centers adhere to this rule or
>not. YMMV etc.

Which is what I had thought too.  My friend at CHP was adamant that it only
applies to '66 and later cars, NOT anything built before '66.  Just as an
aside, he is in the inspection division of CHP, not enforcement.  I believe
what he says.  His background includes running smogs at a local service
center.

To paraphrase what he said, if you put a new motor in your '66 (or later)
MGB, it's smogged as new.  If you put the same motor in your '65 (or
earlier), it is still not smogged.

If you know someone with BAR, I'd sure like a confirmation or denial!!  sf

Stan Fickes
Holder of Past Knowledge  If you want safe speed--buy safe speed--xx.
Wireless Communications   1951 xxTD, under restoration
Apple Computer, Inc.      1965 Austin-Healey Sprite, daily commuter
(408) 974-7653            1957 Chevrolet Bel Air StWgn, wife's car