RE: Smog Tests - California

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Smog Tests - California
From: john bartholomew <jdb70@juts.ccc.amdahl.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 95 07:42:52 PST
Stam, With reference to your comments on the following....
-----snip-------
>If I have an MG TA (or Ford model A) based Hot Rod with a 350 Chevy
on the
>front and I try to get it smog tested will the staff a the test
station polite
>explain the it will never pass because its modified? Or is there some
leeway in
>the regulations?
-----snip-------
It is my understanding that if a *hybrid* is presented to be smogged,
the most current age item is the standard tested to. ie. You have a
1950 MG with a 1980 CHEVY engine, the standard applicable to the 1980
smog, is the one tested to. If you have the reverse, ie. a 1980 MG
with a 1968 engine the 1980 standard is the one tested to.  That info,
I was told, came from the BAR *Bureau of Automotive Repair*, here in
California. This would seem to make most sense, at least to me.
Now, it's any ones guess if *all* smog centers adhere to this rule or
not. YMMV etc.
Name: john bartholomew San Jose CA.      Usual disclaimers apply
E-mail: jdb70@juts.ccc.amdahl.com
  69MGBGT, 74MGB, restoring 76MGB, 79MGB, 72 MGB daily driver.