Re: Wheel Bearing and/or Frozen Brake Shoe

To: Steve Patchel <spatchel@radford.com>
Subject: Re: Wheel Bearing and/or Frozen Brake Shoe
From: Dirk de Boer <deboer@duke.usask.ca>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 09:54:06 -0800 (PST)
On Tue, 28 Nov 1995, Steve Patchel wrote:

> Last night while driving home from work I smelled something like burning
> oil. Stopped the car, checked under the hood. Yea!! Every thing ok under
> there. Walked around the car and discovered that the smell was most
> prominent around the driver's side rear wheel. Felt the rim (I do not have
> wires) and it was significantly hotter than the front.

In my 1966 B I get a whiff of hot oil smell now and then. Adds to
the character of the car. If your rear bearing is smoking you
prbably wouldn't smell it cause the air blows the wrong way. Also, a
hot bearing is red hot. You probably just felt the brake drum heat.

I think what happened is that some oil ended up on the exhaust and
burned off.

Dirk