Re: Wheel Bearing and/or Frozen Brake Shoe

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Wheel Bearing and/or Frozen Brake Shoe
From: dcouncil@imt.net
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 09:28:38 -0700
>On Tue, 28 Nov 1995, Steve Patchel wrote:
>
>> Last night while driving home from work I smelled something like burning
>> oil. Stopped the car, checked under the hood. Yea!! Every thing ok under
>> there. Walked around the car and discovered that the smell was most
>> prominent around the driver's side rear wheel. Felt the rim (I do not have
>> wires) and it was significantly hotter than the front.

I had a rear wheel cylinder stick but it was very noticeable - a distinct
drag. If the wheel cylinder or brake shoe adjustment is at fault, a coasting
of the car will let you know. There will be a quicker slowing of the car and
possibly a pull in one direction.

Other than that - the oil burning is also likely. During my leaky rear
engine seal days, a good section of my car's underbody had a nice oil layer
(waterproofing!).

David Councill
dcouncil@imt.net