Packing for extended touring - Midgets

To: mgs@autox.team.NET
Subject: Packing for extended touring - Midgets
From: "A.D.Smith" <A.D.Smith@boris.umds.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 1995 10:27:30 GMT
On the subject of packing for extended touring, I wonder if any midget owners
can offer helpful suggestions.  We've been on two week camping trips in my
midget
- two people, camping gear, drinks, food, tools etc.

Usually we chuck the spare wheel on the luggage rack to free up boot space.  Has
anyone any neater / more secure method of attatching the spare to the outside
of
the car somehow - I know I've asked this before.

I've also made up vinyl covered hardboard pieces that fit behind the chassis
rails
in the side of the boot to partition off those little areas along the very
sides
of the boot.  That way I can stuff those areas full of tools / oil /
anti-freeze /
haynes manuals / spares; and hold it all in with the hardboard panels.  That
means
that the whole central boot area between the chassis rails is free.

I've often thought of bolting a metal box into the engine bay somewhere to fill
with
tools so as to free another cubic foot or so of boot space - has anyone tried
this ?

Maybe also the panel behind the seats could be changed so that it bows inwards
into
the car instead of being flat - so making the boot slightly bigger ?

I think the main plan of attack has to be to get the spare on the outside, a
spare
wire wheel takes up so much room

Andy

Andy Castellano Smith.          | email: a.d.smith@umds.ac.uk
Image Processing Group.         | http://www-ipg.umds.ac.uk/~as/
Cunliffe Labs, New Guy's House. | tel. : 0171 955 4208
Guy's Hospital, London SE1 9RT. | fax. : 0171 955 4913

       1977 Chrome Bumper Midget "Mungo" for short.
DPO of 1975 Rubber Bumper Midget "Mary"  for short.