Re: 300 miles 70 mph 30 mpg :)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 300 miles 70 mph 30 mpg :)
From: jtilton@vt.edu (Jay Tilton)
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 1995 10:28:04 +0500
Eric L. Van Iderstine wrote:

>I got about 30 mpg at
>speed..  So much better than the LaSabre.

My personal record in my 77 B (no name) was a little more than five gallons
over 200 miles at a consistent 70 mph--an astounding ~40 mpg.  And the car
(no name) doesn't even have overdrive.  Meanwhile, the Crown Victoria (aka
"The Queen Mary") can only dream of getting better than 20 mpg for the same
trip.

This last weekend's trip (same destination) netted a camparatively dismal 30
mpg.  The trip did bring to my attention a handful of deficiencies in the
suspension, but it was remarkably relaxing.  That is, until I had to slow
down fairly abruptly.  It had been raining, and I hadn't been periodically
applying the brakes to dry everything off.  Before the brakes took up, I
briefly reflected on how wonderfully suited the English language is to
swearing.  I invented some real doozies in that one second.

Enough nonsense.  I promise my next post will be more useful.
--
Jay Tilton / jtilton@vt.edu  (vt = Virginia Tech  vt <> Vermont)
Home page: http://fbox.vt.edu:10021/J/jtilton/index.html