Re: 300 miles 70 mph 30 mpg :)

To: Mark Jurras <jurrasm@genesis.torrington.com>
Subject: Re: 300 miles 70 mph 30 mpg :)
From: "U. Goettsch" <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 1995 09:33:18 -0800 (PST)
On Wed, 20 Dec 1995, Mark Jurras wrote:
> Or so you thought. This morning the daily lab discussion was about
> overdrive equiped cars. The question is: if you drive a car at 45 MPH
> in 4th no O/D and calculate the Mileage then drive the same course and
> conditions at the same RPM in 4th + O/D and calculate the Mileage,
> which is better 45 no O/D or faster with O/D.
>
> - -Mark "O/D or not O/D that is the question" Jurras

Every engine has a rpm range where it is most efficient. I don't know
what that range is on a B engine, and I don't know the rpm that 45mph
would correspond to. Especially if your test track involves some slopes,
no OD might be better, because I think I remember reading that higher
rpm/lower load on the engine gives better mpg (within reason of course).

Ulix "I'd pick the gear that SOUNDS better..." Goettsch

                      sprite                 caddy