Re: Definition of "Sports Car"

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Definition of "Sports Car"
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1996 08:12:39 -0500
>Hey guys, help me settle an on going argument with my friends at work. What
>exactly is a sports car?

Ahhh, profitless wordplay... I love it.  Who needs debates on Midget
clutches when you can BS about topics like this?  I am one of those for whom
the internet has revived the pleasures of prose, so let my fingers play on...

It has always been my opinion that a "sports car" is defined by the
following parameters...

(1)   a reletively small two passenger car whose...
(2)   performance and pleasure in driving derives *significantly* more from
handling than from horse power, and...
(3)   whose overriding design purpose is to communicate to the driver and
passenger the *elemental* pleasures of motoring, at the expense of comfort,
practicality, and, occasionally, economy.

Ruffians may debate the need for windows, floors, tops, heaters, wire
wheels, drum brakes, side draft carbs, free-flow exhausts, etc., but I would
suggest that such notions are merely seasonings to add to the "meat" of the
term, as I outline it above.

I would suggest that, speaking here only of cars imported to the US, that
the Miata, the Del Sol, and perhaps the new BMW (Z3?) are the *only* new
sports cars on the market.  Others may noiminate some I've overlooked.  Note
I made *NO* stipulation as to the drive wheels.  The Del Sol is not getting
much attention in this category--I'm curious why.  I suspect its a fun car,
and would conform to my subjective sense of what a sports car is.  It *IS*
FWD, which may put off certain purists.  Anyone driven one?

There has been, over the decades, an escalation in comfort, handling *and*
horsepower, such that we see in adverts that the corvette is "America's
sports car."  I don't think so!  By virtue of rule (2) above, new Corvettes,
Vipers, Camaros, Talons, RX-7s, Porsches, are "high performance cars" (the
American market is swamped with cars in this category) and Cadillac Allantes
and Jag XJS's are "luxo-cruisers."  WHO NEEDS THEM???

Likewise, by virtue of rule (3) above, a Ford Aspire is *NOT* a sports car.
It is an econobox.  *REAL* coffins are cheeper.

Will "wears it on his sleeve, too" Zehring