Re: Definition of "Sports Car"

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Definition of "Sports Car"
From: rdonahue@holli.com (Robert J. Donahue)
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 96 22:36 EST
Will Zehring writes:
>I made *NO* stipulation as to the drive wheels.  The Del Sol is not getting
>much attention in this category--I'm curious why.  I suspect its a fun car,
>and would conform to my subjective sense of what a sports car is.  It *IS*
>FWD, which may put off certain purists.  Anyone driven one?

I have never driven a Del Sol, but my sister had a Saab Sonnett back in the
early 70's. The Sonnett was a front wheel drive sports car that handled like
crazy! I hate to admit it, but I think it could run rings around our lbcs
on snow, ice or wet pavement. However, I think the front wheel drive advantage
over rear disappears on dry pavement. Maybe this is why you never hear of
FWD race cars. Any comments?

Bob Donahue  " 50s FOREVER "
rdonahue@holli.com
1953 MG-TD under restoration