Re: Definition of "Sports Car"

To: rdonahue@holli.com, gpetrola@prairienet.org
Subject: Re: Definition of "Sports Car"
From: jurrasm@genesis.torrco.com (Mark Jurras)
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 1996 08:26:56 -0500

> > I always thought a sports car should meet the following criteria:
> >
> >         1. Positively must not have a back seat.
>
>               That would leave out a few Ferraris and Morgans, not to
>               mention Mini Coopers, Lotus Cortinas

Is that thing behind the drivers seat in my BGT considered a back seat?
That's what I tell the insurance guy it is. I tried sitting in it once.
I couldn't get out.

> >         2. Must be low to the ground. (leaves out small sport-utilities)

Does this leave out Rubber Bumber B's?

>       The SCCA in all it's wisdom had a slogan that states "A sports
>       car is a state of mind..." I wouldn't be THAT permissive.
>
>       I think a sports car is a car that you must make sacrifices to
>       own, just to get a serious payback in fun when you drive it.
>       Sacrifices like space, comfort, economy... All the sensible decisions
>       one makes to buy a car for the family.
>
>       It's a car that someone of a more sober demeanor would look down
>       their nose a you for being seen in. Fathers won't let their daughters
>       go driving with you because you are a "rake" and ne're do well...
>       When you drive by in a sports car children squeal, dogs give
>       chase barking wildly. A sports car would give Great Aunt Viola "the
>       vapors", Uncle Ned would consider leaving your name out of the will.

Gee my 1984 Olds Delta 88 diesel fits in this class. Now I have two
sports cars!

- -Mark    = =o&o