Re: More questions...

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: More questions...
From: "Ross A. Goldberg" <loki@computek.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1996 11:31:52 -0600
Hello,

>When you say 'when the car is stopped', d'you mean with the engine off? That
>makes a difference, especially if the car is fitted with a vaccuum-assist
>brake booster.  It's not normal if the car is running, or no brake booster is
>fitted, for you to pump the brakes a few times to get nominal pressure up.

The engine is running but as far as I can tell there isn't a vacuum line
anywhere on the car <g>.  I believe the brakes are completely hydraulic and
if I am at a stop light I can pump the brakes a few times making each pump
harder and harder to push down.

My real concern is with my rear brake adjustment... should the wheels spin
freely when the rear is off the ground or should they only spin about 1/2
turn before stopping?  It feels as if now with the wheels spinning freely I
have to push the brake pedal in further before the brakes really take hold,
the pedal has smooth travel all the way down, but I don't know if this is
correct.

>I don't believe the windshield washer system was intentionally designed to
>leak, but that's a matter that's open to some question.  Just to be certain,
>I'd check the fittings and the ends of the hoses; they do tend to
>deteriorated and split.

For now I have pulled all the old plastic lines and I will purchase new
valves and lines to see if that helps.  Not that the Windshield wipers do
much -- they don't have enough downward pressure holding them against the
windshield so they end up missing most of the water <g>

>And no, ask all the questions you like.  I do.

Here's another one -- on my 66 MGB am I going to be replacing all of my
coolant hoses and I can't figure out one of them.  The hose from the heater
back down to the joint that feeds into the water pump is one 1/2" rubber
hose.  Is this the way it was originally fitted or is there supposed to be a
pipe / hose combination there?

Thanks,
Ross
// Ross A. Goldberg (aka Loki)