Re: More questions...

To: loki@computek.net
Subject: Re: More questions...
From: Ragthyme@aol.com
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 1996 10:40:56 -0500
Ross:

Rule of thumb for rear brake adjustment is to adjust them until the wheel
won't move, and then back them off a bit at a time until you get the wheel to
spin freely. Then they're set.  If I'm reading you right, and the wheels spin
freely while you're pushing on the brake, there is definitely something
wrong. Don't drive this car until you fix it.  I hate funerals.

I may be wrong here, and other worthies may know more about that year B than
I do, but it seems to me as though there isn't supposed to be a hose running
from the heater to the water pump.  Water lines should run something like:
T-stat housing to upper radiator, lower radiator to lower block, heater to
heat diverter valve, heater to rear of head.  There may be a sort of
T-connexion hose for the lower radiator hose, with one section of the T
running into the radiator, one into the lower block (water pump), and one
section running back to the heater.  This sort of T-hose is unique to B's,
expensive, and is sometimes replaced by PO's, D or otherwise.

On much later Bs, with Z-S carburettors, this was the case, and there was a
complicated pipe that ran under the carb, to a port on the back of the head,
and into the heater.  The purpose of this arrangement is still something of a
mystery to me, though I suspect it uses warm water to keep the gasoline
warmed by radiant heat in order to ensure some sort of emissions set-up.  It
looks like the set-up for a water choke, but the Z-S had an electric choke,
so that can't be the case.  ::shrug:: IN any case, it shouldn't be there on a
66B.

Luck.

ckr