Re: Anti-Sway Bar

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Anti-Sway Bar
From: Glenn Schnittke <glenns@edge.ercnet.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 1996 12:45:18 -0600
>Date: Thu, 7 Mar 1996 10:48:49 -0600
>From: "Ross A. Goldberg" <loki@computek.net>
>Subject: Anti-Sway Bar
>
>Hello,
>
>On my 66 MGB I have no anti-sway bars and I am 'thinking' of installing one
>or both.  I one or both came standard on some years, but obviously not mine <g>

Since your shocks have changed from the original, so your other needs have
changed. As with other systems, if you change one part, the work load on the
other parts will change.

1. I would heartily recommend finding out what type of tube shock kit this
is from Moss. They sell (or sold) three types; Spax, Monroe, and their own
coil-over type. I have not driven either the Spax or coil-over, but I have
some experience with the Monroe kit and it is not anywhere NEAR a good
experience. If you have the Monroe kit I HIGHLY recommend very regular
torque checks on ALL the bolts. Or going back to stock. This is one of those
Moss "quality" problems. The Spax kit has been used for years and has a
track record, and the Moss coil-over kit has been reviewed as the best one
on the market.

2. If the front / rear springs are in equally good shape and the *relative*
front / back shock action has not changed from the original, I'd say just
use the front bar. And it IS amazing what a 3/4" front bar can do. The best
way to find out is to start with just a front bar and make sure everything
else is in good shape (including tire pressure), then if you feel you still
have too much understeer, try the rear bar.

Glenn "Don't get me started on the Monroe's" Schnittke
The universe is inherently funny.

Glenn Schnittke                    Recovering Musician
Nashville TN                       615-385-2800
glenns@edge.ercnet.com             72147.3635@compuserve.com

'74 MGB - fatally wounded
'69 MGB - prim little touring car